Lucy Inside and Out

November 30th, 2012 • by Karen A. Chase • 13 Comments

In branding I often speak with clients about perception. How they are seen by others is probably how they really are. So if they want to put out a certain type of image, then it’s important to be that image. Not become. Be.

However, clients, like people, aren’t just one thing. They’re complex. In fact, they’re like Lucille Ball. Lucy was a stunning movie star who was astute and said brilliant things. But then she could turn all ham and cheese and sometimes stuffed her mouth with the wildest things.

Lucy’s lesson is to be yourself. Who you are both inside and out. Because what you hope you are and what you probably are, are perceived by everyone. And perception is reality. For laughs, and as an example, I return to Lucille Ball. Using public domain images of Lucy, I’ve comprised a photo series of who I think I am, and how I think I’m perceived. So in a nutshell (my nutshell), I am both these things.

Me at work:

My relationship:

My friendships:

What I look like in costumes:

My confidence in new adventures:

If I were a superhero:

My movie star quality:

Tags: ,
13 Responses
  1. Niki says:

lolz. lolz. oh my, what a great post. you made my week.

your nerdy friend,
    nik

2. Karen R says:

Everyone in the lobby wanted to know what just made me snort! Funny!!

3. Christina says:

I Love Karen!!!Yes, you are both those things. And I adore both sides :-)

4. Leslie says:

Karen,

This made me laugh so hard-again… if only we could all embrace our many sides with as much confidence as Lucille.
    For now, I guess we are left with our unusual jobs & bird capped super hero costumes.

5. Christina was right. I loved this! It summarizes exactly how I feel. Beginning today, I will embrace my inner-Lucy!

6. Rainy Kaye says:

Lucy was awesome! Great post.

7. Jae Mac says:

Awesome. I used to think of myself as quite Lucyisk after seeing a visual side by side comparison of how she represented so many different situations now I know I was right. LOL
    Jae Mac, I’m Just Sayin’…(Damn!)

8. Barbara says:

You and Lucille – two adorable redheads. Perceptions are everything in the public domain..hmmmm, I wonder how I’m perceived. Hopefully true to who I am IRL.